Thursday, October 27, 2011

Top Ten: Movies

Another top ten list. This time I explore the movies that I love.

Movies, television and music are important parts of our culture. While they can be seen as a distraction, irrelevant and a time sink, you actually exclude yourself from American culture if you do not have at least a passing knowledge of this art that is so woven into the fabric of our life.

  • Bladerunner (1982). This is a good one for me to start with. I have many copies of the movie and watch it whenever I get the itch. However, there are many things I don't like about the movie, like the constant narration that explains what is going on. I got it. I don't need it explained to me. To be honest, the only reason I watched it in the first place, and probably the only reason it stuck with me all these years is because my mom saw it at the cinema, came home and said she thought I would really love it. So I do.
  • Ghost Busters (1984). "Who you gonna call?" One of those examples of how a movie is so woven into our culture. Who hasn't heard that line in advertisements, from friends, in songs or other movies? Plus it was a really fun movie.
  • Princess Bride (1987). Probably the most quotable movie on my list. A movie that's got it all, except ninjas. Fantasy fairy tale with romance, pirates, revenge and magic. A family 'must see' movie. The first movie I thought of when I started my list.
  • Across the Universe (2007). The only musical on my list. I can't stop watching this movie. I love the music and I am a sucker for a good tear-jerking romance. I recommend this movie to everyone but can't seem to get anyone to watch it.
  • Twin Warriors aka Tai-Chi Master (1993). Another thing I am a sucker for is high fantasy martial arts. Twin Warriors is my favorite in the genre and features my favorite martial arts actor, Jet Li.
  • The Restless (2006). Combines two of the three things I am a sucker for. High fantasy martial arts and romance. A Korean movie about ... well...martial arts and romance!
  • V for Vendetta (2006). Set in a near future dystopian U.K. ruled by a police state, V is a revolutionary fighting oppression and getting revenge for atrocities committed to him. What is different between this movie and any other of it's ilk? Let me quote Mega Mind when asked what the difference is between being a villain and being a super villain. "It's presentation. *CHOMP*" V is cool! Elegant, intelligent, theatrical and maybe even wise.
  • The Matrix (1999). A futuristic mind twisting romp. Includes all three of the things I am a sucker for. Romance, martial arts and sci-fi!
  • Kung Fu Hustle (2004). Set in China in the 1940s...you won't get anything historical from this, just pure martial arts comedy. The movie stars Steven Chow, known as 'The King of Comedy'. We own many of his other fantastic movies like CJ7, Shaolin Soccer and many others.
  • Somewhere in Time (1980). This is the movie that turned me on to romances. Dude actually travels back in time through sheer force of will to find his true love. His true love? None other than the beautiful Jane Seymour. I would travel back in time for her too!
  • Seven Samurai (1954). Not sci-fi. Not fantasy martial arts. Not romance. This movie reflects the true art of film making.
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), Quatermass and the Pit (1967), The Thing From Another World (1951). These movies are great sci-fi horror movies in their own right, but also serve to illustrate how our percpetions and cultural concerns shift over the years.
  • 9th Company (2005). I watch war movies, but they rarely become something I want others to watch too. If you want to watch a war movie, watch this one.
  • Ballad of a Soldier (1959). Although set during WWII about a soviet soldier, it is not a war movie. This is a movie about a guy you can't help liking. A young soldier full of heart, empathy and sincerity. And there is a romance...

There are so many movies deserving a mention, and many many more deserving a thrashing. I'll leave it at this but please, let me know what movies keep you coming back. I might discover a new favorite.

1 comment:

Jillina said...

<3 good movies, especially the Princess Bride! :D