Saturday, February 16, 2008

Two for the price of one

Today, you are all in for a treat.

My son, Zachary, read my post from yesterday and decided to write a poem commemorating mommy's birthday. He honored me by asking to post it on my blog. So, you get his poem plus another oldy from my past.

First, from Zachary, written on February 14, 2008

February 19th

I awake in the soft morning
and I see birds soaring
in the sky ever so lightly
that's barely the beginning
I go down stairs on February 19th
taking light steps
I step to make a noise
not on purpose
there is a surprise
but I won't tell
but I can tell you one thing
it's a celebration.
I happily indulge his reading and writing. I remember when he was in first grade. I was teaching him. He was so timid about reading, fearing that he would not do well. Not only did he shock himself that year, but he surpassed all my expectations and blew the lid off of Idaho's standardized testing, having tested as a fourth grader. It was the highest the test could register.

Now for myself, who did not do as well in school. :)
Not a poem today, but a philosophical musing. At the time, I was a single father of three and took a long look at my life, at how 'on track' I was and how effective my focus was. This piece of writing sums up my conclusion.

Written on June 16th, 2003

What Are Heroes?

I just wanted to be a hero. All my life, I wanted to do something spectacular. Be someone that no one else was. I wanted to have an impact on people that would be felt their whole lives.

But, I was growing up. No superpowers manifested. I got a job, and then another and then joined the military. Then I had a girlfriend and another and then got married. It wasn't long before I had children and my life was so full. Then a divorce and I didn't have time to even think.

My dreams of being a hero where just that. Sly little dreams of a sleeping mind. I didn't even have time to fantasize about it when I was awake.

Instead of curing cancer, I was kissing boo-boos and lavishing ouchies with Spongebob band aids.
Instead of wearing tights and having a utility belt, I dressed in a uniform and marched off to work.
Instead of slicking back my hair and singing rocks songs, I cranked up the stereo and sang along to Barney and Veggie Tales.
Instead of being a rocket scientist and creating teleporters, I was helping my kids with their math homework.
Instead of being a suave, muscle bound actor in the latest action flick, I was the too-white, love-handle toting creature from the depths of the swimming pool.
Instead of a rich multi-millionaire, I was the guy struggling to put a roof over our head and food on the table.
Instead of racing formula one cars around a track, I was creeping along neighborhood streets, watchful of children and pets darting between cars.

Somehow, I managed to drift through my entire life missing every opportunity to amount to anything. I know what kind of heroes there were. I wondered which ones my kids looked up to the most. I called them in and asked them. I knew the most popular names, and all the cartoon heroes to boot. I watch all the same TV they do.

Three little toddlers marched on in. "Kids, who is your favorite hero?" giggles. Lots of giggles and bouncing. "Duh," started my oldest, Zachary. They all pointed at me and said "Daddy is!". Hehe. "No, babies. I mean, who is super! Who do you think can take care of anything? Who can make the world safe? Who knows everything and can do anything?" "Daddy can!" Bouncing and zooming commenced. Three kids piled high on my lap and gave me big hugs.

You know what? I am a hero. I didn't just become one type of hero. I became them all. And I had the greatest impact on the most important people in the world. Who says dreams don't come true?

I remember writing that. I wonder if I asked them today what their answer would be?
Edit: My formatting is not sticking very well. I am doing my best to relearn HTML so I can fix it, but you might catch some ugly or at least some odd formatting occasionally as I fix it up.

4 comments:

Jillina said...

Zachary is such a talented young man. I can't wait to see how his writing develops in a world where his artistic gifts are encouraged instead of stifled like mine were.

Beyond that, all I can say...is you're still my favorite super hero. You make my world safe, you can take care of anything, you know everything, and you're definately--super. :)

Sandra said...

Zackary is really talented, wow...loved his poem :)

As for yours that was SO good Kelly, I loved reading it...you really are a super hero, and your kids know it :)
I'm sure if you asked them today, they would have the same answer for you.

I'm so glad you're sharing your writings.

Hugs,
Sandra

Kelly said...

Thank you Sandra. I think this is a sentiment that only a parent who is really involved in their children can understand.

There is probably a lot of people out there who could read this and say, "Yep, he messed up. Maybe if he didn't have kids he could've amounted to something."

Mike Golch said...

Kelly,a couple things come to mind,1) your son has some good writtings.2) we all are super heroes to someone.